Saturday 3 November 2012

A few things....

I know I don't post blogs anywhere near as much as I should but I felt like talking about a few things so please stay a while and listen...

Supermarket Wifi.

I was just up in Dundee with the family doing some shopping and we headed into the Tesco Extra at Kingsway Retail Park for a few things. When I got inside I checked my phone and there was the "Open Wifi Networks Available" icon sitting in the notification bar.
"Tesco won't have public wifi." I thought to myself but lo and behold it was. You require a Clubcard to access it which we don't have due to there not really being a Tesco local to us (yes there is one in Kirkcaldy but it's not as easily accessible as Asda or Sainsbury's) but this is still a great idea.
I would like to see more supermarkets implement this for customers as it is a service I could see me using quite a bit, especially where mobile signal inside the supermarket is poor (Sainsbury's Leven, I'm looking at you here!)

Google Nexus 4

Well Google have announced their new flagship phone, the Nexus 4, which I had been planning on looking at as a replacement to my Galaxy SII next year. However at present I'm not totally taken by it.
The main draw for me was, and still is, the stock Android OS on the phone.
My first Android phone was a G1 which had stock Android 1.5. I then moved to a HTC Desire which had Sense on it, and I hated Sense. It didn't take me long to root the device and get CyanogenMod installed.
I then moved to my current Galaxy SII. I kept the stock ROM on that one but used Go launcher instead of TouchWiz as it was far closer to Stock Android. I have since Installed a purely stock Ice Cream Sandwich ROM on it and it is faster and cleaner with me missing only one function available on TouchWiz (Automatic blocking of withheld numbers) though I am sure I could find a third party app to do that on the Play store.
However, lack of MicroSD slot, maximum of 16GB internal storage (which will probably have some of that reserved for the OS) and non-changeable battery are putting me off.
I use the MicroSD slot quite a bit, especially for transferring larger files from my phone to my tablet (and the MicroSD slot was a big selling point of the Xoom to me) so lack of one is really off putting.
So I am back to wondering what my next phone will be. Let's see what HTC, Samsung and Motorola can come up with next else I may be keeping my SII longer until I find something I really like.

Planetside 2

After freeing myself from the clutches of Blizzard and World of Warcraft, I almost made it away from MMOs until I got handed Planetside 2 beta access.
And I'm loving it.
For those of you that have never played Planetside, a quick introduction.
Planetside 2 is a MMOFPS in which three warring factions, the Terran Republic, The New Conglomerate and the Vanu Sovereignty all fight for control of the planet Auraxis. From the Planetside 2 website "Across the continents of Auraxis, thousands of players will come together in enormous battles to win control of critical territories and key resources for their empire. With a an extensive skill tree and free-form class-based system, players will be able to customize their soldier, weapons and vehicles to match their play-style, as well as the needs of their squad, outfit or empire. Battles can last for days or weeks, so players will need to build alliances and specialized combat outfits to take on long-term strategic and tactical initiatives. With air and ground combat, the battles will be larger and more intense than ever. "
With it being a beta, it should be noted that there are many bugs and issues still in the game. Even with the bugs that are currently in the beta client, I forgot how much I loved the scale of Planetside. Battlefield 2 was always the game that came closest to Planetside with it's 64 player combined arms battles but that still didn't come close. Planetside 2 is back with hundreds of players fighting over the different points on the different continents at any time.
Teamwork is another thing that is vital in Planetside. Outfits (The Planetside version of guilds/Clans) are often run with military precision and chains of command.
It's actually hard to describe the feeling of being in one of these fights, or it is for me anyway, and with Planetside 2 being free to play I am going to recommend the game to anyone who enjoys FPS and in particular Battlefield style games.

Well that's all folks.

Thanks for reading. If you have any comments please leave them below and I will do my best to respond to them.

No comments:

Post a Comment